Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Inspiration & Paradox 9: Pruned to be beautiful


The Chinese proverb says “To hit someone is to love that someone”. It talks about the paradoxical love that parents have for their children. Proverbs 13:24 speaks of it even more strongly: “He who spares the rod hates his son”. I remember a friend mentioned how painful the pruning process of a plant can be - all the good branches and green leaves are cut away, leaving behind an ugly, bare, insecure looking stem, all because of a belief that this will later produce even more branches and healthier leaves.
Should I inflict pain on my children by laying my hands on them, I hope I have a special enabling to do it out of true love and desire to discipline and not out of a moment’s exasperation or pure selfish need to wield my authority over them.

No comments: