Saturday, March 25, 2006

Inspiration & Paradox 41: Who can we best learn parenthood from?

As a child, I had a very difficult relationship with my mum. Basically, I could not agree with anything she did and I gave her a hard time. And when I had my first baby, I went through a very "blue" period. Strange enough, I did not have any natural mother instinct to tell me what were the expectations of a good mother. Having no mental picture of what an ideal mother should be, I was very fearful, felt very helpless and lost.

I realise that by the time we know well enough what is correct parenting and learn how to act and communicate like good responsible parents, it is the end of parenthood, our children have grown up and entered into parenthood themselves, and they start to wonder what they are supposed to do as responsible parents. And this vicious cycle of parenting struggle goes on and on. It seems that no children actually have known or seen before or could even envisage in their mind what perfect parents should be like. If this is really so, how can we learn to be perfect parents when parenthood cannot be repeated there will never ever be perfect parents for us to model after?

No comments: